Reclaim the traditional knowledge about the maramataka (Maori Lunar Calendar) and ways in which you can practically apply this knowledge to your everyday life. Use a daily journal that follows a monthly cycle of the maramataka, where you can begin to record
- what the moon phases are good for/ not good for
- what activities you did on these days
- what observations you made
- what your energy levels were
If you know your whānau/hapū/iwi maramataka it maybe more suitable to purchase the WHIRO Journal which does not contain marama names and is able to be customised. The moon cycle in those journals start from Whiro (New Moon), but the rest of the layout is the same.
Please note if you do not know this information - then the TE RĀKAUNUI Journal in different listing is likely more suitable for new learners as it contains the marama (moon) names of Te Whānau ā Apanui, and the moon cycle starts from Te Rakaunui (Full Moon).
FeaturesThe Journal features are;
- Measurements A5+ (148mm x 210mm)
- Perfect size to carry with you for daily observations.
- 72 pages x 100 gsm
- Lined paged within journal sections
- Sewn together to make it last
- FREE resources with purchase - 1 sticker sheet & Aratohu Guide
- Maramataka Definition & User Guide
- He Tirohanga written by Haami Piripi
- Daily Marama (using Te Whānau ā Apanui maramataka) with phases & name
- Daily Journal page to record observations
- Daily "Ihi" Energy scale & monthly Graph to review your energy levels over the 30 days
- Spaces to track Moon Rise & Set and Tides in colour
- Ōku whakaaro / My Thoughts Page
Buy one - Give one
Hokona tētahi māramataka, ā, mā mātou tētahi e tākoha
For every maramataka journal purchased, we will give the same journal to Ngā Kitenga o te Maramataka to support the work done by Rereata Makiha and Rikki Solomon with rangatahi (youth) and kura kaupapa around the motu (country).
You can check out the amazing work they do in schools teaching rangatahi about the maramataka here.
Additional Information about the Maramataka
We have free resources available to assist your understanding of living with the maramataka. You can also check out our Ako/Learn page for details of upcoming workshops about the maramataka
So excited to take this step of follwoing Maramataka this year, and the Tuhi Maramataka Journal is perfect! Easy to follow, clear directions. Absolutely recommend.
Awesome way to get started with mahi - honoring matauranga maori alongside gregorian/western perceptions of time. PAI TO MAHI! Kia ora x
Wonderful, right size plenty of space for reflection and writing, and love the tables and graphic at the back to bring together the whole month. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.
Thank you for your wonderful response Jo. Really appreciate your feedback.
Although my purchase was the wrong purchase I still love my "nga Mata o te maramataka" straight forward easy guidelines and instructions will definitely purchase more items in the future.